YIELDS: 6 to 8 servings
Red quinoa, which has a slightly more nutty flavor than its white cousin, is an attractive addition to this light and savory salad.
- 1 cup cooked red quinoa
- 1 cup cooked white quinoa
- ½ cup pecans (or substitute pine nuts or almonds)
- ½ cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1 clove fresh garlic minced
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped fine
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, nuts, parsley and mint. In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and pour it over the quinoa mixture. Gently toss. Chill for at least 15 minutes and toss again before serving. Serve alone or over a bed of fresh greens. Double the recipe and toss it with about 10 ounces of spinach to make a picnic-sized salad.
Recipe submitted by Sondra Weidman, The Cooking Club. June 2012.
Look for her picnic classes in the upcoming August issue.