Natural Awakenings readership surveys nationwide find that our readers represent an ideal target audience for local businesses seeking to reach savvy, well-educated women who are in charge of making purchase decisions for themselves and their families.
In our recent Readership Survey, respondents tell us:
- 80.5% are female
- 48.6% are between 35 and 54 years of age
- 59.8% have one or more college degrees
- 57% have an annual income in excess of $45,000 per year
- 61.5% have been reading Natural Awakenings for more than 2 years
- 21% purchase from our advertisers between 1 and 3 times per month
- 34.7% share their monthly copy of our magazine with 2 or more additional readers
- 89.1% purchase healthy or organic food
- 51.5% attend spiritual or healing events
- 45.9% attend exercise or fitness events
We also know that Natural Awakenings readers are unique in that they share a particular worldview, values and concerns, and that those values inform their purchase decisions.
Lifestyles of Health and Sustainability (LOHAS) is a market segment focused on health and fitness, the environment, personal development, sustainable living, and social justice.
Estimates are that LOHAS is a $200 billion dollar industry, and 27% of American consumers are affiliated with the LOHAS psychographic.
5 main market categories define the LOHAS set:
- HEALTHY LIVING: This is the most common entry point to the LOHAS market. It encompasses organic foods, natural products, nutritional supplements, and a wide variety of health and fitness pursuits.
- ALTERNATIVE HEALTHCARE: LOHAS consumers actively seek out information and services related to integrative healthcare and holistic disease prevention, including practices such as acupuncture, chiropractic and homeopathy.
- PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT: Perceiving the connection between physical and mental health, LOHAS types take a strong interest in personal development and growth, including investigations of mind-body-emotion-spirit connections, self-help, leadership and life-balance topics. They are likely to take yoga, meditation and tai chi classes, as well as purchase books, videos and CDs on related subjects. They like to seek out new experiences and learning.
- ECOLOGICAL LIFESTYLES: Because they see their own health and the planet’s health as inherently tied, LOHAS consumers tend to embrace recycling, green building, ecotourism and all sorts of eco-friendly home and office products. They are better informed than average about ecological topics.
- SUSTAINABLE ECONOMY: From renewable energy sources and socially responsible investing to fair-trade principles and “triple bottom line” accounting (which considers social and environmental performance, as well as fiscal profits), LOHAS consumers like to promote fair, ethical and sustainable business practices. They prefer doing business with companies that promote a holistic worldview and that share their values.