YIELD: 6 servings
Vegans and carnivores alike will enjoy this hearty, flavorful chili.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, scrubbed, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 3 large jalapeño chilies, seeded, minced
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes, with puree
- 2 large tomatoes, chunked
- 3 cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15-oz can black beans
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans
- 1 15-oz can cannellini beans
- 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans
- ½ cup bulgur wheat
- 5 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1-½ tsp ground cumin
- 1-½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
Rinse and drain all beans and set aside. Heat 2 tablespoons of water or vegetable broth in heavy, large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, red bell pepper and jalapeños. Sauté until onion and carrots are almost tender, about 8 minutes. Keep the vegetables moving, especially at first; soon the onions will emit liquid and allow oil-free steam frying.
Add tomatoes, 3 cups water or broth, beans, bulgur, white wine vinegar, garlic and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, stirring often, about 20 minutes, until bulgur is tender and mixture thickens. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.
Recipe submitted by Phil Wexler, Wellness Coach Phil. June 2012